Sunday, November 9, 2008

The circle of ARCs

This is an interested time in the life cycle of The Sapphire Hair Sirens. The story is now well under control. I have my beginning that sets the story up. I have a middle the moves the story alone with a zag and a zig. I have a end that winds up nicely with a twist or three that still seals everything nice and tight while expanding the world for future Zach adventures. So Sapphire is chugging along nicely.

Just as Sapphire has gained momentum though Advanced Review Copies (ARCs) of my last book The Flaxen Femme Fatale (hits books stores Dec 2) have hit the internet. So while I am plunging forward for Sapphire I am reading the reviews of Flaxen and plugging it where ever I can. By plugging I mean touching base with advanced reviewers just to make sure they got their copies. If they have gotten their copies and read it I also ask for their opinions. As learning what others think of my "work" helps me discover what works and what doesn't work so well.

It can be a bit of a process but I find it is quite worth it as learning what people like about the book that is about to hit the shelfs really charges my batteries when working on my current work in progress. So in a sense the energy from the last book feeds the next book.

I guess that's why it's important that I kept plugging away and keep turning out novels (or comics or cartoons).

3 comments:

Angela/SciFiChick said...

Yes, I got my copy. And I'll try my best to read and review it by the release date!

Janet said...

Interesting idea. I would never have thought of following up on ARC readers. Did you pick them yourself? (Yes, I'm unpublished, and I'm sure it shows.)

Johnzakour said...

The publisher picks most of the people who receive ARCs but I get to give them some input.