Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Read and Writing

The secret behind every well at least many good writers is that they are also good readers. It makes sense reading helps us learn interes facts that gets us pondering about other interesting ideals. Not only that but seeing what writing techniques and styles work for other people can help a writer develop their own style.

I always like to be reading on fiction book and on non-fiction book. This way I get sample styles with the fiction and also learn stuff and generate new ideas with the non-fiction. It just seems to work for me.

The two books I am reading now are Raymond Chandler's, The Long Goodbye and Michio Kaku's Parallel Worlds. To look at the titles you may think Parallel Worlds is the SF book, but it's not. It's a scientific look at our universe or multiverse and the possibility that parallel universes exist. It's written in a nice lively style that's both easy to follow and informative. I am sure some ideas discussed in Mr. Kaku's work will pop up in my writing. After all I figure part of my role as a SF writer is to take the ideas from scientists and extrapolate from them how people in the future my relate and respond to these concepts. Hopefully I will do it in an entertaining way.

Which brings me to, The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler was the master of the pulp novel. He could say the most with least words in the right way. I hope that by reading and absorbing enough of Chandler I will be able to do a decent sci fi spin on his style. I also like to think my Zachary Nixon Johnson draws a lot of inspiration from his Philip Marlowe. They are both tough guys who work hard to do the right thing and get the job done. Of course Zach is a futuristic, SF, pimped out version, but I still like to think that Zach thinks, what would Marlowe do in this situation?

Have a good Turkey day!

No comments: